[SWLUG] FTP and new server help!

Geraint Edwards gedge-lists at yadn.org
Sun Feb 5 23:22:26 UTC 2006

Ysgrifennodd Neil Jones <neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk> said
		(on Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 09:11:54PM +0000):
> It turns out after doing a ps aux ( why didn't I think of that earlier)
> that there was no ftp client running.

I think you meant to say "server" (not "client").

Careful, you are forgetting that servers don't always run as
daemons.  Sometimes, services are run from inetd(8) - see
/etc/inetd.conf.  In which case, a ps(1) won't show you
(reliably) if your host is offering that service, because inetd
starts servers up only when they are needed (and a server will
service only one connection and then exit, typically).

Either way, I'd recommend scp/sftp above any plaintext-password-
sending ftpd.

--
Geraint A. Edwards (aka "Gedge")
gedge at yadn.org