[SWLUG] New Server installing g++?

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Feb 7 08:43:46 UTC 2006

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:39:49AM +0000 or thereabouts, Neil Jones wrote:

> Does anyone know how to work out what distro is in use?

It's often in /etc. cat /etc/redhat-release or /etc/debian_version
or something along those lines. In this case, you want the first :)

> I take your point Telsa. I've been there and done that!.
> The problem is something is missing and I don't have installation disks.
> Maybe it is time for a visit to the linux emporium :-)

So long as you have root access, you don't need physical access to
the machine to install new packages. You just need to know how to
use rpm (the command) or a front-end to it.

There are a couple of front-ends to rpm which attempt to make rpm
do the Debian thing of working out conflicts before you install.
The one I use is yum. If yum is there, great.

If not, get that onto the machine (by finding the right yum rpm package
and installing it via the rpm command), and then you're in the right
starting place for the rest of it.

> See everyone tonight at Cardiff. It does look as if I can make it now
> and I will hopefully talking about SEO and Google.

Cool.

Telsa