[SWLUG] mass marketing Linux?

Lyn David Thomas lyn at cibwr.org
Mon Feb 13 22:37:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 20:35:12 +0000
Kris Zani <kriszani at iscavision.com> wrote:

> dunno about the distro.  you might need to customise it somewhat.
> careful package selection and maybe a custom kernel to try an improve
> speed.  Been hearing good stuff about ubuntu.  I use FC4 and gentoo.
> neither of which are suitable for you.

Ubuntu will be a slug on the spec of the systems suggested.

> XFCE is an excellent desktop though and very lightweight.
> http://www.xfce.org/

It is quite nice, but I suspect to people used to Windows IceWM would
be a better choice.

> the biggest problem you'll get is modem compatability so you'll have
> to market them as broadband only,

That or supply second hand external hardware modems.

> might be worth sourcing a set of broadband modems, adsl and cable and
> providing those as well.

Agreed.

> you'll probably end up setting them up for the users though and all
> this costs time which might end up making them not so cheap.

Absolutely - support is a major issue.  Which is why I go back to
suggesting Vector Linux, the forum there is very friendly, and that is
what you need for support.

--
Lyn David Thomas