[SWLUG] Defrag and dir /p equivilents

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu Feb 23 20:37:11 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 17:54 +0000, Tony Pursell wrote:
> Try ls -x (list across).  In IBM's AIX I remember having an lx command
> to do this - if its not in Linux, you could set it up as a alias for ls -x.

it is 'across' but not perhaps in the way you think.

the gnu ls command should list in columns anyway (-C), but the default
behaviour is to list down, then move to the next column.  whereas -x
mode makes it list across the row, then go down to the next row.

both will result in the same number of rows and columns being printed,
just the ordering would change.

but as has been pointed out, the 'paging' function he desired is not a
builtin part of the ls command, as because of the piping mechanism, such
commonly required functionality can be factored out into another
program, such as 'more' or 'less'