[SWLUG] Introduction

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Feb 24 11:37:09 UTC 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Huw Lynes wrote:

> (up to and including starting a PhD) before realising that working with
> computers would be more fun. I've spent the last four and a bit years

You're crazy :)

> can anyone recommend a good ISP with generous (or none-existent)
> download limits?

Depends what you mean by "generous".  You'll struggle to find one with
non-existent limits.  Generous or non-existent limits basically means
you'll be paying a high price for the connection _or_ the connection will
be absolute crap.  Bandwidth isn't free and if the ISPs don't restrict
people from running bittorrent 24/7 they either have to buy more upstream
bandwidth (a cost they will have to pass on to the customers) or the
network will be pants.

I use PlusNet, who have provided me with a pretty good service at a
reasonable price, but I don't use vast amounts of downstream bandwidth (I
bittorrent down a gig or so a month) and they _do_ have bandwidth limits
(can't remember how much - check the AUP).  And alledgedly they do traffic
shaping to prioritise stuff like RTP, HTTP, etc (no idea how they identify
different protocols - I suspect they just prioritise all UDP and certain
protocols to known TCP ports such as HTTP, etc).

--

  - Steve