[SWLUG] Introduction

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Feb 24 13:37:24 UTC 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Julian Hall wrote:

> Not *quite* true.  The install engineers are under instruction to
> install it on USB (assuming the customer is daft enough to run Windows
> ;)) - probably means the USB drivers incorporate ntl: spyware or am I
> the only suspicious one? ;)  However if you can get them to leave the
> modem and go away you can peel the nasty sticker off the Ethernet port
> and use that instead :)

I believe that NTL now recommend using Ethernet rather than USB since
they've started rolling out 10Mbps connections (possibly something to do
with USB1.1 not managing to actually _do_ 10Mbps :)

Also worth considering what else you want from an ISP - NTL don't do
static IP addresses or IP subnets whereas most of the ADSL providers do
(and usually for free).  I think NTL's upstream speed is still at 128Kbps
too, so if you upload a lot then DSL is better.

--

  - Steve