[SWLUG] Problems with sound

Rhys Hardwick rhys at rhyshardwick.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 20:03:18 UTC 2006

On Friday 24 February 2006 20:08, Neil Jones wrote:
> Suddenly sound has stopped working under linux on my machine.

> typing
> play filename
> results in a long wait while the file is apparently played
> but no sound.

What program are you using to play it?  Have you tried different programs?

> I'd also appreciate tips for turning it into an MP3.

Best program for this is probably grip.  It can rip files, but can also encode
already ripped files into all sorts.

I'm sure there is an easier way, some command line tool that will do it.
Someone on the list will tell us I'm sure.

Rhys