[SWLUG] Introduction

Jonathan Wright mail at djnauk.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 22:40:37 UTC 2006

Steve Hill wrote:
> I use PlusNet, who have provided me with a pretty good service at a
> reasonable price, but I don't use vast amounts of downstream bandwidth
> (I bittorrent down a gig or so a month) and they _do_ have bandwidth
> limits (can't remember how much - check the AUP).  And alledgedly they
> do traffic shaping to prioritise stuff like RTP, HTTP, etc (no idea how
> they identify different protocols - I suspect they just prioritise all
> UDP and certain protocols to known TCP ports such as HTTP, etc).

The limits are based on your connection, but IIRC up to 2Mb, it's 100Gb,
up 4Mb it's 120Gb and 8Mb is 150Gb - but, and it's a big but, they also
manage peak-time traffic (4pm - 12am I think) and there are warning
periods and different levels of control if you go past it. You'll have
to see their documents on how they manage it for more detailed information.

I was regularly hitting about 90Gb a month (on a 1Mb line) and they
never complained.

However, as for traffic shaping, and being someone who has gone to
another company and hence lost it - you do really notice it. Web
browsing and SSH are must more responsive with it, and is the one thing
I would love Zen to adopt!

--
  Jonathan Wright
   ~ mail at djnauk.co.uk
   ~ www.djnauk.co.uk
--
  2.6.14-gentoo-r2-djnauk-b1 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Mobile CPU 1.80GHz
  cat /dev/random (because u never know, u may see something u like)

  "We're talking about designer  wedding  cakes,  $20,000  sleeveless
  tuxedos, giant naked man ice sculptures that  pee  mojitos.  They'd
  hire Pattie La Belle as the band, give out African parrots as party
  favors. It'd  be  ridiculous.  Remember,  whatever  your  political
  beliefs, a vote to allow gay marriage is  a  vote  for  a  fabulous
  economy."

                                                          ~ Tina Fey