[SWLUG] linux-friendly internet connectors

Pete Phillips pete at smtl.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 18:00:27 UTC 2006

Hi Glasiad.

I'm also in the Bridgend area (laleston in fact), and I'm also using
Suse 9.3.

I use a netgear DG834G wireless router.  It has 4 ethernet connection
ports as well, but I don't actually use those (although I have connected
up to the ethernet ports and it was a cinch) as my wife adopts the "less
wires is better" philosophy (I know - bizarre isn't it ?).

You can get this from Amazon for around £63.  It also has a built in
firewall, allows remote admin etc. Excellent and flexible unit. Supports
NAT, DHCP etc.

When I was looking for a router around 18 months ago, most posts I saw
warned you away from USB ones. By going with a hardware solution like
the Netgear you avoid having to rely on drivers etc. All you need is a
network card in your PC to connect to the router and off you go.

Hope this helps,
Pete