[SWLUG] Problems with NTL on boot

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 30 23:26:13 UTC 2006

I use NTL's broadband to connect to the net.

However, quite often recently on switching everything on together
including the cable modem it doesnot properly establish the link.
The boot process displays a message something like

eth 0 ...................... backgrounding.

It never seems to connect and requires a reboot. It would seem that the
cable modem is taking longer to establish its connection or something.

I have tried network stop
followed by Network Start
whhich seems to produce the correct version of the above message but
this does not produce the connection to the net.

Can anyone tell me how to establish the connection manually without
rebooting?

Neil Jones
Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk