[SWLUG] HTML opening window to fullest extent

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Mon Jul 3 13:27:58 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 14:19 +0100, Neil Jones wrote:
> I have an application which I have designed on my machine to process
> some data. It works through the browser interface under php and apache.
>
> At one point it opens a browser window to display data. Annoyingly the
> browser isn't at full size and I have to maximise it. How would I do
> this within the HTML that opens this window it currently uses Target
> ="_blank"

its not done with html, its done with javascript.
by setting the window width to the screen width, and likewise for the
height.

but please, just dont.

As it is REALLY annoying when some web page fullscreens my browser to
1600x1200 just because the author thought it looked better at fullscreen
on their 1024x768 screen.  *1

If you really really have to frob the window size, make it the size you
actually need, not fullscreen.  but best of all, use relative sizing and
let your page scale gracefully.

*1 and yes i know you can usually disable this in the browser setup, but
that then also screws up the more legitimate case of small popup windows
which need to be a certain small size.