[SWLUG] OGG on Sony W810i phone?

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Jul 4 16:09:43 UTC 2006

On Tue Jul  4 16:56:40 2006, Jonathan Wright wrote:
> Dave Cridland wrote:
>> For bizarre reasons I have yet to understand, mobile phone people
>> are not yet shipping Ogg or Vorbis support. Perhaps it's more CPU
>> intensive to decode than MP3, or something - mobile phone people
>> are universally paranoid of anything touching battery life.
>
> From what I understand (and it's not a lot :) is that OGG required
> floating-point operations to decode correctly. MP3 (and IIRC, ACC
> and WMA) don't - they just need integer maths.

Ah.

> As a consequence, the processors that they needs are much simpler,
> smaller, less powerful, but more importantly, cheaper. As there
> isn't much call for OGG, there isn't much need to add the more
> expensive variant.

Well, every mobile device out there, pretty well, uses ARM. I don't
even know if they do floating point.

But more interestingly, they all have to do TLS, etc, as a matter of
course, which is pretty CPU intensive, yet mobile phones have never
included crypto processors, which are, so I'm told, dirt cheap these
days.

Personally, I suspect the mobile crowd of being deeply weird again.
("But mobile is a special environment, which has new challenges" gets
raised a lot. The new challenges are flaky connectivity, low
bandwidth, and poor CPU. Anyone who owned a 286 and a modem probably
notes that these new challenges seem remarkably like the old ones,
but that's purely imaginary.)

I do note that the new 770 release also doesn't do Ogg, still. This
may be because of an ARM not being good enough (although nobody seems
to complain about putting an Ogg decoder on it as third party), but
equally it might be because they don't want to be forced by example
to put one on mobiles.

> I think there has been a lot of move to create an integer-only
> decoder for OGG's, but I don't know how successfully this was/has
> been.

The other likely reason is that Ogg is perceived to have a
relationship with illegal music sharing, or worse, fair use.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/