[SWLUG] Apache PHP modules

Jonathan Wright mail at djnauk.co.uk
Tue Jul 4 17:48:54 UTC 2006

Peter Bradley wrote:
> Well, mysql support was built into php4, but it was taken out of php5
> and implemented as a separate module.

Yeah - there are two versions. mysql which is the standard MySQL one,
and mysqli (or MySQL Improved) and IIRC provides much better support for
5.0 and 5.1 series of MySQL.

>> Can you check to make sure your CGI PHP is at version 5, or (probably
>> better) that all your PHP installations (and associated modules, if
>> installed separately) are at the version.
>>
> The only modules with cgi in their name that I have installed are:

Are you running both as CGI or one as a CGI and the other as a module?

> Here's the output of  `locate php.ini`
>
> peter at linux:/usr/lib64/php/extensions> locate php.ini
> /etc/php.ini
> /etc/php.ini-zend_studio_server.bak
> /etc/php.ini.rpmnew
> /etc/php.ini.rpmsave
> /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
> /etc/php5/cli/php.ini
> /etc/php5/fastcgi/php.ini
> /php.ini
> /php.ini-zend_platform.bak
> /usr/local/Zend/etc/php.ini
> /usr/local/Zend/etc/php.ini.twin
> /usr/local/Zend/ZendStudio-5.2.0/bin/php4/php.ini
> /usr/local/Zend/ZendStudio-5.2.0/bin/php5/php.ini
> /usr/local/Zend/ZendStudio-5.2.0/bin/phpdocumentor/php.ini

Actually, I think this may be why the change to php.ini didn't work. If
(like Gentoo) they've started separating out the php.ini settings
between cgi, apache (and here, fastcgi), then you'll need to edit those
configurations.

However, to find out which one it uses you'll need to run a phpinfo()
statement and look for the php.ini directive at the top of the listings.

But, being a new file, it should have the new directory anyway.

> The /etc/php.ini file is actually a symlink to
> /usr/local/Zend/etc/php.ini, because I have Zend Studio installed, as is
> the one in the root directory.

Same here. You're running 5.2 of ZendStudio, so that won't have a
problem supporting up to 5.1.x

> Does any of this suggest anything to you?  It has me completely foxed.

Can you double check the php.ini files under /etc/php5/*/php.ini
(probably apache2 if your running it as a module) as see what the
extension_dir is set to?

--
  Jonathan Wright
   ~ mail at djnauk.co.uk
   ~ www.djnauk.co.uk
--
  2.6.15-gentoo-r1-djnauk AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
  cat /dev/random (because u never know, u may see something u like)

                                                        ~ Paul Newman