[SWLUG] Apache PHP modules

Peter Bradley apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jul 4 18:24:56 UTC 2006

Jonathan Wright wrote:

> Yeah - there are two versions. mysql which is the standard MySQL one,
> and mysqli (or MySQL Improved) and IIRC provides much better support
> for 5.0 and 5.1 series of MySQL.
mysqli is the OO version, I believe

> Are you running both as CGI or one as a CGI and the other as a module?
I'm not (intentionally) running php-cgi at all (although cgi is enabled
in apache)

> Actually, I think this may be why the change to php.ini didn't work.
> If (like Gentoo) they've started separating out the php.ini settings
> between cgi, apache (and here, fastcgi), then you'll need to edit
> those configurations.
>
> However, to find out which one it uses you'll need to run a phpinfo()
> statement and look for the php.ini directive at the top of the listings.
>
> But, being a new file, it should have the new directory anyway.
phpinfo() output attached.  But it seems to be pointing to the Zend one
(the one that I've played about with via the symlink from /etc/php.ini).

> Same here. You're running 5.2 of ZendStudio, so that won't have a
> problem supporting up to 5.1.x
Yes.  I'm running the Zend 5.1 Server, though, because the ZendPlatform
wouldn't install for me and in fact prevented apache from starting.
Using the Zend Server was the fix I got from Zend Support (who were very
good, by the way).

> Can you double check the php.ini files under /etc/php5/*/php.ini
> (probably apache2 if your running it as a module) as see what the
> extension_dir is set to?
Well, from the locate output, I guess we're talking about
/etc/php5/apache2/php.ini ...

; Directory in which the loadable extensions (modules) reside.
extension_dir = /usr/lib64/php5/extensions

... so that looks ok.

It does, however, appear to be contradicted by the contents of
/etc/php.ini (the symlink):

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Paths and Directories ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

; UNIX: "/path1:/path2"
;include_path = ".:/php/includes"

include_path = "/usr/share/php"

; Windows: "\path1;\path2"
;include_path = ".;c:\php\includes"

; The root of the PHP pages, used only if nonempty.
; if PHP was not compiled with FORCE_REDIRECT, you SHOULD set doc_root
; if you are running php as a CGI under any web server (other than IIS)
; see documentation for security issues.  The alternate is to use the
; cgi.force_redirect configuration below
doc_root =

; The directory under which PHP opens the script using /~username used only
; if nonempty.
user_dir =

; Directory in which the loadable extensions (modules) reside.
extension_dir = "./"
; Altered by PB 03/07/2006 and then altered back
extension_dir = /usr/lib64/php/extensions
; extension_dir = /usr/lib64/php5/extension

Thanks for sticking with me Jonathan.  Does any of this suggest anything
to you?

Cheers

Peter