[SWLUG] Choosing a CMS

pbhj (swlug) swlug at alicious.com
Fri Jul 7 22:22:10 UTC 2006

I'm sorry I didn't catch this thread earlier, you've seen
http://www.opensourcecms.com though I assume.

I've used Mambo and liked it, it was one of the nicest looking with very easy
admin (though a couple of features were not quite intuitive) but I haven't
done any proper CMS installs for probably 18months.

PS: When you decide on something which is valid XHTML with good style and
content separation tell us what you chose and why ... priddy please.

On Thursday 06 July 2006 00:00, Steve Smith wrote:
> Here's a summary of a thread from Ubuntu-UK.  Can anyone here give me
> any extra info, particularly in answer to the questions I've
> interspersed below?
>
> ---
>
> On 05/07/06, Grant <grant at cherrysupport.com> wrote:
> > Joomla is a fork of Mambo.  The original developer team got fed up with
> > Mambo trying to scam money out of users and developers that they all
> > jumped ship together and have been working on Joomla for ages.
>
> Ah, I knew there was a fork, but didn't know which way around and why
> - one down, thanks!
>
> On 05/07/06, Joseph Price <pricechild at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I LOVE drupal. [...]
> > I'm perfectly happy helping with this if it gets used.
>
> Thanks!  Sorry if it was ambiguous, it's not for UKTeam, it's for my
> Photographic Society website.  But I might well be coming to you if I
> run into trouble :)
>
> On 05/07/06, Lee Tambiah <l_tambiah at linuxmail.org> wrote:
> > Joomla can be hard to change and customise in comparison with Drupal. It
> > is true that Joomla has flashy looks out of the box, but dont let this
> > influence your final decision.
>
> I'm trying to make something that'll be unrecognisable by the time I
> finish with it, so Drupal's looking good.
>
> On 05/07/06, Robert Schumann <robert at cantab.net> wrote:
> > I found Xoops to be very open source (read: kind of chaotic). In
> > particular, the plugins and themes I looked at were often of poor
> > quality and I don't think I was very impressed with the markup produced
> > by native Xoops - but this is from playing with it more than a year ago.
>
> On 05/07/06, "tedsmith28 at yahoo.co.uk" <tedsmith at f3.org.uk> wrote:
> > I use Xoops [...] It was voted 2nd place in the recent
> > 'Best Open Source Project' at Sourceforge 2006 [..]
> > Xoops is largely considered the most powerful CMS but likewise requires
> > an amount of skill to tweak to your liking. It is not as 'pretty' out of
> > the box as the likes of Mambo etc but the end result is much more
> > customised with a massive variety of modules.
>
> I've not come across Xoops before, does that mean it's less widely
> used than Drupal and the others?  Perfect, clean, accessible markup is
> a must for me, do you know if it's improved in the last year?
>
> So can anyone put a good case for Joomla?  Otherwise Drupal seems to
> be winning hands down!  I'll give them a go on opensourcecms.com too.
> Thanks for all the input from everyone, sorry if I haven't quoted you!
>
> Steve :)

Linux ixthus 2.6.16.13pbhj #1 PREEMPT Fri May 5 21:37:32 BST 2006 i686 athlon
i386 GNU/Linux