[SWLUG] Domain abuse any examples?

Chris M. Jackson chriscf at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 18:52:27 UTC 2006

On 7/8/06, Neil Jones <neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I am attempting to warn a  charity for whom I volunteer about the
> dangers of letting their web hosting company hold the registration of
> their web domain. The dangers are obvious and I already have an example
> where an organisation has lost their domains as a result of company
> bankruptcy.

The only example I have is someone who was gifted a domain, but due to
problems with the host's upstream service, was unable to access the
domain info for about a fortnight or more before renewal was due.  As
a result, the domain expired, and was picked up around a day
afterwards by Ultimate Search.  As it was a .com, given ICANN's policy
of refusing to recognise the validity of a verdict outside of very
specific venues, he decided not to pay the $1500 + attorney's fees to
get it back, and settled for a .net with a more reputable registrar
(in his own name this time), and dealt with web hosting separately.

His old host eventually came back up about a week after expiry, they
apologised sincerely noting that their upstream providers wouldn't
help them during the outage ("force majeure", and that there was
nothing they could do about the domain (as far as ICANN were
concerned, the domain was now someone else's property).

--
Chris Jackson
Now with enhanced time-wasting capabilities