[SWLUG] Encoding problem

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 19:46:05 UTC 2006

On 13/07/06, neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk <neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I think I should clarify a point . I haven't tried it under windows at
> all.
> It won't be a windows generated file. It is generated under a nix
> environment I think.
> The file command says that it is
>
> UTF-8 Unicode text, with very long lines
>
> Here are a few random problem words snipped out.
>
> général
> génération  linéaire
>
> As you can see they look very odd. Provided of course the encoding system
> in your email  doesn't correct them
>

> Neil Jones
> Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk

You can split a file into chunks using the 'split' command. It can operate
on a number of characters, lines, or bytes. I've used it in the past to put
large ISOs downloaded at work onto my flash drive to bring home.

I can't really add anything to the charset discussion. I'd suggest taking a
copy of the file and trying some of the suggestions.

Cheers,
Neil (G not J).