[SWLUG] help required with spamassassin

Jonathan Wright mail at djnauk.co.uk
Sun Jul 30 15:16:04 UTC 2006

bascule wrote:
> jonathan, would you expect detection to drop below 50% without dcc? since
> thats what i'm getting, perhaps i have a useless set of rulesets for
> rulesdujour? i got them from http://www.rulesemporium.com, i hope to upgrade
> my server shortly and with a faster proc i could add some extra memory to it
> but at the moment it only has 192mb, it's just a home box that doesn't do
> very much

I did notice a big improvement when I added it to my server about 2
years ago. I think the biggest downfall with SpamAssassin alone is the
highly dynamic nature of Spam at the moment, and rules are not doing a
very good job of catching them all.

As for RulesDuJour, you'll need to configure it to bring in more sets -
the two or three that are included by default are not that good. I have

TRUSTED_RULESETS="TRIPWIRE SARE_ADULT SARE_OBFU0 SARE_OBFU1 SARE_URI0
SARE_URI1 BOGUSVIRUS SARE_FRAUD SARE_FRAUD_PRE24X SARE_SPAMCOP_TOP200"

which does help.

At the moment, there are around 22k Spam mails in my Spam box - begins
in December last year, which is around 95 a day. I probably get about
5-10 extra in my Inbox a day at the moment, but that's only recently -
there's a particular set that keeps coming in and SpamAssassin is having
a hard time trapping it.

--
  Jonathan Wright
   ~ mail at djnauk.co.uk
   ~ www.djnauk.co.uk
--
  2.6.17-gentoo-r3-djnauk-b1 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
  up 9 days, 15:45, 1 user, load average: 1.13, 0.34, 0.21

  "This is what's wrong with the media," I said. "You show  a  fringe
  position. You show one point of view. You're closing the  minds  of
  the people by not showing them what the reality is." I got  up  and
  walked out, and I've never been asked back again."

                                                     ~ Kathleen Nolan