[SWLUG] Serial ports

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Mon Jul 31 14:14:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Justin Mitchell wrote:

> first off, make sure that the cable has been wired so that the CD line
> is asserted, otherwise you will have to fiddle around to avoid it.

I've never found anything that really cares much about the CD line.  You
certainly shouldn't have any problems just echoing stuff to the port.

The problem is normally the DSR and CTS lines - if they aren't asserted
and you have hardware flow control on then the UART just plain won't flush
the TX buffer to the port.

--

  - Steve