[SWLUG] Where to automount samba shares per user?

Glenn Booth d.glenn.booth at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 19:59:39 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I can't help thinking this is a noddy question, but I can't find an answer.

If I want each user on a particular (shared) machine to mount a samba
share (their home directory) on a server automatically at login, where
should I do it?

We have a machine with a small Linux partition, but I would like most
stuff to get stored on a separate Linux server. I need a way to get each
user's /home/$USER directory mounted without too much fuss at
each login. It would be even nicer if I could symlink their local /home
to the samba share, making it transparent.

Looking for inspiration...must be an elegant way to do this. Using
NFS is a problem, as the same PC also runs Windows (for the kids -
they're 'migrating'!).

Ta,

Glenn.