[SWLUG] Another new person!

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Fri Jun 30 11:02:44 UTC 2006

On 30/06/06, Toby Maxwell-Lyte <Toby.Maxwell-Lyte at eazyweb.net> wrote:

> I too use Ubuntu, I've installed it on the old IBM PIII Thinkpad  at
> home. Upgraded from Breezy to Dapper recently and now the 3com pcmcia
> network card is really problematic. It seems that I have to do an ifdown
> eth0 ifup eth0 before I can get connected to the net.

I had this exact same problem on mine. Installing Breezy or Hoary was
a nightmare because it refused to bring up my PCMCIA NIC, and without
that I couldn't get online to download what it said it needed. In the
end I installed Warty (which saw the NIC) and upgraded.

Also, a suggestion for distros (but Ubuntu especially) - include a
tarball of your kernel source and all the compilers needed for people
to be able to compile their own modules straight away. I had the code
for a ZD1211 module which would've had me happy and wireless without
having to mess about with the PCMCIA NIC in the first place. (Maybe I
should put this on the Ubuntu wiki rather than vent spleen on a
mailing list!)

Steve