[SWLUG] To Bach characters

Chris M. Jackson chriscf at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 17:01:31 UTC 2006

(cc for list originally forgotten)

On 3/22/06, Neil Jones <neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 16:24, Chris M. Jackson wrote:
> > On 3/22/06, Neil Jones <neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Can anyone please tell me how to type the Welsh "to bach" characters
> > > into my English language version of Open Office.
> >
> > You probably want the magic Compose key (typically Shift+AltGr).
> > Pressing Compose-O-^ in sequence should do it in just about all X
> > apps.  Press in sequence - there is no need to hold down the Compose
> > chord.
>
> It works for aeiou but not w and y.

Your compose map probably doesn't include them.  You need to change
your system locale to one which includes the characters (e.g. those
with UTF-8 encodings, such as en_GB.utf8, or, if you're /really/
desperate, ISO8859-14).  Failing that, the compose maps are hidden
somewhere in /usr (grep for "<Multi_key>"), and you might be able to
add it yourself to the compose map for the current locale (type
"locale" at a shell to find out what it is).

--
Chris Jackson
Now with enhanced time-wasting capabilities