[SWLUG] Re Quietist Meeting Ever

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Wed Mar 29 10:40:05 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 02:24 -0800, Glasiad wrote:
> I don't imagine dates or 'rotas' are core problems with attendance. I
> suppose I'd be much more inclined and motivated to attend if it didn't
> revolve around eating, drinking and 2nd hand smoking. A meeting in a
> computer lab where we can all demonstrate and learn new things about
> various Linux distros would be ace. Then those who want to eat and
> drink could make their way to the pub after.

when swlug started, it was meeting up in conference rooms and the like,
and had a much more formal structure, but

a) the rooms cost money
b) everybody much prefered the bit in the pub afterwards

so it was decided to skip the formal bit and just go to the pub, or some
other sociable venue. Many people have jobs in the day, and/or have to
travel a bit to get to the meetings, and thus require a meal, and
everybody wants drinks of some kind.

As for getting access to a room full of computers, especially ones that
you could actually do anything on except browse the web, i think thats
highly improbable to exist, and if it does the cost would be prohibitive
as the swlug has no funds of its own.