[SWLUG] Re: Quietest Meeting Ever

Peter Richards pedrfoel at uklinux.net
Wed Mar 29 17:58:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 17:18, Emyr Derfel wrote:
> On 3/29/06, Dick Bain <dick.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 29/03/06, Pete Prior <swlug at nermal.org> wrote:
> >
> > > PS.  How the hell do you pronounce your name - I want to get some
> > > practice in for when I meet you.
> >
> > glasseyed would seem logical to me, Welsh being a phonetic language ;-)
> >

> "glass-yad" is nearer... means "a glassful"...(or, at least, it did
> the last time I heard it used!)
>
> Emyr

> "Glass-yad" is ok for the pronunciation of "glasiad"= "day-break", and
"glass-eyed" is a good approximation of "glasaid"=glassful, but I've
never heard the latter used. "Gwydraid" is more usual for "glassful".

So far I've been to only one SwLug meeting,(the lightning talks in
Swansea) but as a Linux newbie, I found it fascinating, and it was well
attended. My suggestions for future meetings:

A definite agenda, perhaps one or two talks to be offered or subjects to
be discussed for each meeting

Plenty of notice, not combined notice and reminder

Develop the idea already raised by Emyr of using laptops where available
to demonstrate problems/solutions/techniques.

Peter R