[SWLUG] Re: Quietest Meeting Ever

Martyn Loughran mail at nytram.me.uk
Wed Mar 29 23:12:15 UTC 2006

Telsa - very sorry to hear about your evening - but I liked the
picture you conjured up! I can't really express an opinion on the
Swansea meetings since I've only been for organized events. Tis a
shame though.

With regards to Carmarthen I'd like to second the vote for 3rd
Tuesday (or any Tuesday for that matter) - Thursdays aren't great for
me although I will admit that the curry is an advantage. Whichever
day it is I think a fixed schedule is very important. If it's going
to be complicated there should at least be an ical file on the
website so that dates can automatically appear in people's calendar
app. Good as RSS is it's not so useful for reminding me that there is
a meeting tonight!

Regarding discussion regarding meeting up in other locations, here's
my take for what it's worth: Most people coming to these meeting have
been sitting in front of computers all day, so do we really want to
travel some distance to come to some noisy computer room just to sit
in front of computers some more? The meetings can be a way of getting
away from the details and seeing the bigger picture - details take
time and google is good at that kind of thing. This also makes the
meetings accessible to a much wider audience - totally disagree with
the remark that meetings could be about technical oneupmanship.
Laptops of course can be used anywhere and are much better suited to
quick demos - and someone will likely have one on them. A venue with
cheap / free wireless would be a definite plus for this kind of thing
but is rarely needed imo.

Pubs with food work well. Generally any comfortable informal venue
gets my vote. People's houses usually have free wireless, but I'm not
offering mine! Just please don't make it a computer lab unless it's
for a special event with a special purpose that requires it!

Regards,
--
Martyn
My contact details: