[SWLUG] Re: Quietest Meeting Ever

peter apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Mar 30 18:46:50 UTC 2006

Chris M. Jackson wrote:

>On 3/29/06, Julian Hall <lists at kaotic.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Just a thought.  The PCs in UWIC all have front-mounted USB ports.  If
>>the ones in Cardiff University have as well, and it was just a matter of
>>demonstrating how to do X in Linux, couldn't a small distro on a USB
>>stick suffice?  Assuming the BIOS is set to allow boot from USB of
>>course.  Non-invasive to the installation but useful enough for
>>demonstration purposes.  Failing that a Live distro on a CD.
>>

>IIRC, they are set to boot from HD only.  I've tried booting live CDs
>before, and it didn't work.  Either way, this is an issue for
>whoever's going to try talking to sysadmins at Cardiff Uni, which
>unfortunately won't be me, for a variety of reasons.

As a member of UWIC's IT staff, I can tell you that the PCs in the
learning centres, at any rate, are pretty well locked down.  Staff PCs
probably are too.  Certainly staff members are not, in nearly all cases,
administrators on their machines and have a standard staff profile.

I missed the start of this conversation, so I'm not sure what you want
to do.  If you let me know, I'll see what (if anything) can be arranged
for you.

Regards

Peter