[SWLUG] Configuring Apache for php under SuSE 9.3 Pro

peter apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com
Tue May 9 20:59:58 UTC 2006

Hi gurus

I'm trying to configure Apache to display php files.

Apache is installed OK and will display an html file in /srv/www/htdocs

I've installed mod_php4 from the SuSE installation CD and patched it via YaST2.

Following the instructions, I've made the following changes to config files:

/etc/apache2/conf.d/php4.conf
=============================

# Added by PB 09.05.2006

<Files *.php>
    SetOutputFilter PHP
    SetInputFilter PHP
    LimitRequestBody 9524288
</Files>

# End PB addition 09.15.2006

<IfModule sapi_apache2.c>
        AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
        AddType application/x-httpd-php .php3
        AddType application/x-httpd-php .php4
        DirectoryIndex index.php
        DirectoryIndex index.php3
        DirectoryIndex index.php4
</IfModule>

/etc/sysconfig/apache2
======================

# Modified by PB 09.15.2006
# added php4.conf to include files

APACHE_CONF_INCLUDE_FILES="/etc/apache2/conf.d/php4.conf"

# End PB modification 09.05.2006

There are no changes to httpd.conf.

I've then restarted Apache (/usr/sbin/rcapache2 restart)

But Apache will not display php files from htdocs.  Firefox says:

"You have chosen to open
	index.php
which is a: PHP script
from: http://localhost

What should Firefox do with this file?
* Open with ...
* Save to disk
..."

So Apache clearly doesn't understand that it is to use mod_php for *.php files.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Peter