[SWLUG] Networking without Smoothwall

Stephanos stephanos at writeme.com
Mon May 15 00:04:33 UTC 2006

Dear All

Currently, I have an NTL broadband modem which connects to a Smoothwall
box and then onto a switch.  From this switch comes three nodes.  All
work OK.

I am thinking of removing the Smoothwall box, in order to experiement
with software firewalls, but I am not sure that the modem can be
connected to the switch direct.

To save me the inconvenience of discovering that this cannot be done
after making lots of changes I would like to ask:

Does this work or do I need a router (which is what I understand the
Smoothwall box to be) in between?

Wait to hear

Stephen