[SWLUG] Networking without Smoothwall

Chris M. Jackson chriscf at gmail.com
Mon May 15 10:29:32 UTC 2006

On 5/15/06, Justin Mitchell <justin at discordia.org.uk> wrote:
> if you connected your switch direct to the cable modem then only one of
> the computers would be able to get a dhcp lease, and thus ip address,
> and be the only computer able to talk to the internet.   afair you had
> to use an ntl website to register your mac address, so switching which
> computer will get the internet access would be pretty tedious also.

No longer necessary.  IIRC, you register the MAC address of the modem
(just in case they sent you a different modem from the one they
thought they sent you), but after that the modem figures out who it
needs to talk to when it starts up.  If you need to connect it to
another machine (did this with a laptop in my last house, because
their stupid registration requires JavaScript for a simple page
refresh), you just need to switch it off before you do so.  Still,
would get tedious quickly if you had to do it regularly.

--
Chris Jackson
Now with enhanced time-wasting capabilities