[SWLUG] Advice please: broadband + laptop

Mark Summerfield mark at qtraining.eu
Tue May 16 07:33:12 UTC 2006

On 15/05/06, peter <apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> Mark Summerfield wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm planning to get broadband. At the moment I'm with BT but want to
> > switch.
> > Pipex seem to offer phone + broadband;
[snip]
> > Also I need to buy a laptop; I'll need to dual boot XP & Linux
> > (defaulting to Linux).
> > The Linux on Laptops site lists masses, but does anyone have
> > recommendations?

Thanks for all the feedback.
I get the impression that getting a router will be easier & better
than getting a broadband modem, so I'll do that. I also get the
impression that it might be a bit nail-biting getting set up
(especially since I'm hopeless at sysadmin).
Doesn't seem to be any outstandingly bad/good laptops: in the past
I've had Toshiba (fine), Fujisu-Seimens (fine, but short-lived),
Panasonic (5 years+ and still working---mostly)---I'd get a Panasonic
again, but their "toughbooks" are a bit expensive.

--
Mark