[SWLUG] Advice please: broadband + laptop

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue May 16 22:48:39 UTC 2006

On Tue May 16 18:53:32 2006, peter wrote:
> * Get hold of some standard cable with those rj telephone type
> thingies at both ends (the big ones, not the little ones)

That's RJ45 connectors. Or CAT5e cabling. If anyone wants some, let
me know.

> * With the power off both on your machine and the router, plug one
> end of the cable into your box's ethernet card and the other into
> one of the holes in the router

Ethernet can be plugged in with the power live. About the only thing
that's not safe with now is PS/2 keyboards and mice, which can cause
actual fires with some motherboards.

> The only thing I had to do was disable IPv6, because things were
> really slow with it enabled.  I don't know if that's changed now.

Not changed, as such. The problem there is that for IPv6 aware
applications, if you have IPv6 available, they'll try to use it, and
you have to wait for a timeout before they fallback to IPv4.

If you have routable IPv6 addresses, this isn't a problem.

Dave.
--
           You see things; and you say "Why?"
    - George Bernard Shaw