[SWLUG] webcam software help

pbhj (swlug) swlug at alicious.com
Fri May 26 20:01:59 UTC 2006

Hey all,

Anyone out there use a webcam. I just got an old quickcam express (hand me
down!) which I've installed OK and gives me a signal (via V4L
on /dev/video0).

I've  tried having a webcam-chat using Kopete but can't seem to get it right,
the cam is viewable in the config and can be seen with kdetv. Just I don't
know many people who IM and none that are knowledgeable about software for
Linux. All the messenger services seem to deny unilateral cam use.

Anyway:
1) anyone who uses a cam on IM and will let me test my rig with them would be
warmly welcomed.
2) what apps are you all using with webcams ... I've come across gnomemeeting
(not installed due to deps), kdetv (can you save a clip?), xawtv, gaim, amsn
and of course Kopete. Any good apps that I'm missing?

Cheers

Paul

--
Linux ixthus 2.6.16.13pbhj #1 PREEMPT Fri May 5 21:37:32 BST 2006 i686 athlon
i386 GNU/Linux