[SWLUG] Locating domain names?

Foeh Mannay (SWLUG) swlug at wormtail.co.uk
Wed Nov 22 11:33:36 UTC 2006

Hi,

> You have an IP address. You think there may be a web domain parked on
> it. Is there any way to find out what that domain(s) may be on the
> address or even DNS servers.

I don't think it works like that. As anyone on any top level domain could
choose to point their DNS entries at any IP address they like on the
Internet, I don't think there's any way to trace it back. It would involve
getting zone transfers for every domain name on the 'net, which isn't
going to happen.

The reverse DNS, as you've already discovered, will be owned by whoever
owns the IP range it's sat on, and if anything will only return the name
the hosting company use for it. There's no requirement to tie a reverse
DNS to every forward DNS entry.

Sorry, I don't think it's doable!

Foeh