[SWLUG] Mandriva 2007 problems, Ubuntu and Dual Boot

Marcus Davage marcus.davage at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 22 12:17:47 UTC 2006

For a long time I have dual-booted Windows 2000 with Mandrake (now Mandriva)
linux - since 7.2 actually. I had been using Mandriva 2006 for a while, and
decided to upgrade to 2007. The es1371 sound module is not included, so my
sound card doesn't work. 3rdparty modules aren't included, so I can't
recompile my ltmodem drivers. I feel like going back to 2006!

Anyway, I installed Ubuntu 6.0.6 from a magazine DVD onto a spare partition
(/dev/hdb7 mounted as /ubuntu in Mandriva). As it installed, it installed
grub as the boot loader. Mandriva uses graphical lilo as a boot loader, and
I set up Windows as my default OS, so that the wife can use the PC. Grub
over-wrote that so that Ubuntu, not Windows was the default. Not knowing how
to change this, I went in to Mandriva, reinstalled lilo, and hey presto,
Windows is now my default. But I have now lost access to boot into Ubuntu!

My Ubuntu vmlinuz and initrd files are still there on /ubuntu, but how do I
boot into them? What do I put into my lilo.conf?

Yours, of limited Linux knowledge, but keen,

Marcus