[SWLUG] Blackberry with Linux

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Nov 28 14:29:32 UTC 2006

On Tue Nov 28 12:06:13 2006, David Taylor wrote:
> Is it possible? And can it be done so it is fully fucntional and
> sync'd?

If you mean "Can I install Linux on a Blackberry", then I've not
heard of it being done, but I don't know much about it.

If you mean "Can I install something on Linux that talks to
Blackberry's systems", then as far as I know Blackberry offer nothing
for Linux.

If you mean "Can I get something equivalent to, or better than,
Blackberry on a Linux platform", then bear with me, and buy a Nokia
770, since I've almost finished getting my code running on one.

I'm using the full Lemonade Profile (RFC4550), which is open standard
email intended to be comparable to, and in many ways better than,
Blackberry's (and other) solutions. Other people are doing handset
based clients, too, and I've been doing a desktop-based client for a
long while now. There are open source servers for most of RFC4550 -
Cyrus IMAP does all the IMAP side, there's currently nothing on the
Submission side, but hopefully someone will sort that out.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/