[SWLUG] Network backups

David Goodwin dof at codepoets.co.uk
Sun Sep 10 14:17:30 UTC 2006

> So, to the question. Should I just enable the Ubuntu root account(s) and do
> the backup as root, or
> is there a better way? This is a one-off job so that I can rebuild the
> server. I don't need it to be
> automated in any way.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received!

Hi,

You may find tar to be simpler/easier in this instance e.g.

sudo tar -zcf - /home | ssh user at remote_host "cat > backup.tar.gz"

Rsync is really only of any use if there are existing files for it to do
comparison(s) with; for a one off job, tar will most likely be more
efficient.

thanks
David.

(The above could take place without a 'cat' I suspect).
--
David Goodwin

[ david at codepoets dot co dot uk ]
[ http://www.codepoets.co.uk       ]