[SWLUG] Network backups

Glenn Booth d.glenn.booth at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 18:03:27 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 10/09/06, David Goodwin <dof at codepoets.co.uk> wrote:

> You may find tar to be simpler/easier in this instance e.g.
>
> sudo tar -zcf - /home | ssh user at remote_host "cat > backup.tar.gz"

I thought of using tar, but wasn't sure if it would keep symlinks, file
ownerships, hidden files etc. intact.

Rsync is really only of any use if there are existing files for it to do
> comparison(s) with; for a one off job, tar will most likely be more
> efficient.

I thought rsync wasn't the right tool for the job, but I didn't know of a
better
one! Time to do some more reading, methinks.

thanks for the help.

Regards,

Glenn.