[SWLUG] Network backups

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Mon Sep 11 08:17:56 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 21:15 +0100, Glenn Booth wrote:

>         In this instance, it's a one-off, manual thing, in preparation
>         flattening and reinstalling the machine, or at least I *think*
>         that's
>         what Glenn said.
>
> True. And using rsync as root didn't work, so I'm going to try tar.
> rsync did
> the copy ok, but all the file ownerships, permissions etc. were
> completely
> knackered, which is no use to me. I saw quite a few 'chown ...
> operation
> not permitted' messages fly by during the copy, even when I was
> logged
> in as root.

in order to set the ownerships on the files at the remote end, the
remote end user must be root.  if its an ordinary user then they just
dont have permission to do it.

if you really care about the ownerships, and the remote account is only
an ordinary user, then you will need to use an archive format like tar
to remember those details for you.  it just means that your transferring
a copy of every file every time.