[SWLUG] VNC across the 'net.

Andrew Jenkins andrew.jenkins at bigfoot.com
Tue Sep 12 19:42:14 UTC 2006

Hi All,

Has anyone (and I'm sure there is) tried to connect
two machines across the internet using VNC or TightVNC?

I know how it's done between two machines on my LAN (and
often do to administer the machines in the loft) but as
for across the 'net I'm a bit vague.

On the LAN:- if I run VNCserver on machine#1 I can then
run VNCviewer on machine#2 and use the command:-

vncviewer 10.0.0.9:1

to connect successfully. However what IP address should I
use if trying to connect to a VNCserver elsewhere?

A work colleague (who I'm trying to nurture into Linux)
asked me if I could do it but I really need to get it
working by firstly connecting to someone who knows what
he's doing.

Andy Jenkins.