[SWLUG] Routing?

alanh alanh at bryngwyn.carmarthen.sch.uk
Wed Sep 13 15:17:03 UTC 2006

Hi All,

looking for some help with a project.....

I've set up a new linux server at  school, it's running samba on two
seperate networks (main school network and the music dept network)
which works just fine, pupils can save and retrieve files from the
server on either of our two networks. Diagram shown below ;-

[(School network) 192.168.10.x] -----------[192.168.10.14 (Server
asgard)  192.168.20.1]------------[192.168.20.x (music dept network)]

<------------------- School network ----------------------------->
                            <-------------------------- Music Dept
network --------------------->

Asgard has two network cards.

What i need to do now is to route packets from the 192.168.20.x network
to out proxy server on the 192.168.10.x network. I thought I could do
this using static routing but, my acute lack of knowledge in this area
is now showing! Asgard is running Fedora Core 4 and our proxy servers
internal address is 192.168.10.15.

What's the best way to enable the music systems to access the internet
- squid, iptables? , can this be done using the routing table? I can
ping each of the network cards in server asgard from my ibook attached
to the music dept network but not the proxy or any other system on the
school network.

No firewalling is required between the two networks, just web browsing.
  Music dept workstations are all XP Pro ;-(

Many Thanks for any help / ideas

Alan (carmarthen)