[SWLUG] Live Distro's

Dick Bain dick.bain at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 20:14:44 UTC 2006

On 13/09/06, AlunPD <alun.pd1 at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I have tried out a few of the live distro's and found that they will
> recognise my windows and linux HDD's so I thought perhaps I could use them
> as rescue systems if the HDD crashed but you can still see the files on the
> HDD.
>
> Why can I not copy the files at all from one disk to another while using the
> Live distro's yet I can if I am using the installed version.

it was all to do with mounting the hdd partitions etc, however if you
run knoppix and then right click on the various partitions you can
mount them as either read only or read/write. I regularly have to
rescue stuff from peoples so called crashed windows hdd's using
knoppix or DSL
have a look at this page: http://tinyurl.com/jvne6 for some testimonials
YMMV

--
free/libre/open, software for the people by the people