[SWLUG] Network setup for Fedora Core 5

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Thu Sep 28 09:00:57 UTC 2006

[snip]
> ftp could be a pain to setup, needs servers and things running.
>
> much easier to use 'scp' its part of the standard ssh package.
>
> if you wanted to say copy a directory and all its contents from the
> local machine to a remote one, do:
>
> scp -r mydir  user at remotehost:destdir/
>
> or you can play with rsync (which also uses ssh)
>
> rsync -arv mydir user at remotehost:destdir

Thanks Justin,

I just tried scp:

: scp app/Pim/pim.txt mark at percival:/home/mark
ssh: percival: Name or service not known
lost connection

My desktop's hostname is pye my laptop's hostname is percival. I'm user
mark on both. I don't want a permanent link since the laptop will often
be away from the desktop.

Yes I know I'm clueless... I'm a programmer and never was any good as
sysadmin stuff:-(

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd., www.qtrac.eu