[SWLUG] Network setup for Fedora Core 5

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu Sep 28 09:13:19 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 10:00 +0100, Mark Summerfield wrote:

> I just tried scp:
>
> : scp app/Pim/pim.txt mark at percival:/home/mark
> ssh: percival: Name or service not known
> lost connection
>
> My desktop's hostname is pye my laptop's hostname is percival. I'm user
> mark on both. I don't want a permanent link since the laptop will often
> be away from the desktop.

ah, lack of naming services then.

the long answer is setting up a dns server, but thats fairly complex for
a first time job.

quicker answer, put entries in the /etc/hosts file on each machine
giving an ip address for each name you use.

even quicker answer, just use the ip address instead of the name.