[SWLUG] More help getting this system working

neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 08:36:32 UTC 2007

Last night I finally made my upgrade to Suse 10.2.
I backed up the data I needed to keep onto disk 3. Unplugged Disk3 so that nothing  could happen to my data by accident and performed the upgrade.
I have a separate partition for my /home stuff so that I should be able to upgrade without loosing data.

Unfortunately there appears to be a bug in the suse 10.2 installation system. It kept stopping with an error message when it came to mount my /home partition when I set it not to format it. Annoyingly it did this after it wiped the system partition and before it had installed the new software. It is fairly obvious from the error message that there is a bug because it seems to be saying that a mount command is missing a parameter. "Mount : you must specify the filesystem type".

I formated the /home partition with the intention of plugging in disk 3 which I have now done. However I cannot find it. I used to be able to go to /media and do an ls and all the disks etc would appear. They no longer do so.

I don't know what to put into the fstab file at all as a result.

Can anyone help sort this problem? So I can restore my data.
I am working from the web mail again as I don't want to use the mail program until I have restored the data.