[SWLUG] Mandriva 2006 and 2007 Graphics

STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU stephanos at writeme.com
Mon Apr 16 08:46:05 UTC 2007

Dear All

1000mhz, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD, SIS 630 graphics, NTL broadband

I have been using Mandriva 2006 on my laptop and never had any problems. It correctly identifies my on board graphics as SIS 630.  During installation I am prompted to configure the graphics card.

I installed 2007 as an installation and as an upgrade and had the same expereience of being prompted to configure the graphics card.  I do this using much the same options and chosing to disable 3D effects.  In the BIOS I had already allocated 64 MB of memeory.

However during boot up the gui KDE will not load.  I am left with a blank black screen with no prompt.  If I reboot and chose safe it boots to a command line at RunLevel 1.  At the command line I go to RunLevel 3, login as root and try XFdrake.  Here I have tried many alternatives such as X11, Xorg, 24bit, 16 bit.  One thing I have not been able to do during the installation of 2007 is get updates.  The Internet is not available for some reason.

I am back on 2006 but perplexed and at the edge of my knowledge.

Any help appreciated

Stephen (Swansea, Wales, UK)

=