[SWLUG] Mandriva 2006 and 2007 Graphics

P.G. Richardson p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
Mon Apr 16 09:44:50 UTC 2007

Have you looked in the X log file in /var/log. This should tell you where
the problem lies as it is rather verbose and gives indication of errors or
warning using prefixes or (EE) and (WW). See if the driver has loaded
correctly, fonts have been installed, resolution modes are correct.

Regards

PGR

> Dear All
>
> 1000mhz, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD, SIS 630 graphics, NTL broadband
>
> I have been using Mandriva 2006 on my laptop and never had any problems.
> It correctly identifies my on board graphics as SIS 630.  During
> installation I am prompted to configure the graphics card.
>
> I installed 2007 as an installation and as an upgrade and had the same
> expereience of being prompted to configure the graphics card.  I do this
> using much the same options and chosing to disable 3D effects.  In the
> BIOS I had already allocated 64 MB of memeory.
>
> However during boot up the gui KDE will not load.  I am left with a blank
> black screen with no prompt.  If I reboot and chose safe it boots to a
> command line at RunLevel 1.  At the command line I go to RunLevel 3, login
> as root and try XFdrake.  Here I have tried many alternatives such as X11,
> Xorg, 24bit, 16 bit.  One thing I have not been able to do during the
> installation of 2007 is get updates.  The Internet is not available for
> some reason.
>
> I am back on 2006 but perplexed and at the edge of my knowledge.
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> Stephen (Swansea, Wales, UK)
>
> =

Laws are partly formed for the sake of good men, in order to instruct them
how they may live on friendly terms with one another, and partly for the
sake of those who refuse to be instructed, whose spirit cannot be subdued,
or softened, or hindered from plunging into evil. [The Laws, Plato]