[SWLUG] New protest and petition against BBC's Windows-only iPlayer

Jonathan Wright jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 11:56:30 UTC 2007

Steve Hill wrote:
> So from what I can tell, all the reasoning for needing DRM is unfounded -
> if you need DRM for IP delivery, why not for DVB too?

DVB is a one-to-many form of broadcasting, to which you need a license
to transmit. Unless you have a hard-drive recorder (which in many cases
do have DRM enabled to preventing copying of some form), DVB can be
considered a read-only format.

You cannot re-broadcast it, not pass it on to anyone else other than to
watch it within your private residence. Any attempt to do so will most
likely end with you doing jail time.

IP is totally different - it's a one-to-one and one-to-many (and with
the case of P2P, many-to-many) format where broadcasts are contained
within defined files which can be copied, moved and re-transmitted by
the current holder.

While I may disagree with the general principal of DRM, you cannot
compare DVB broadcasting with IP networks.

--
Jonathan Wright

  e: jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
  w: http://netwrker.co.uk/

  cat /dev/random
   » you never know, you may see something you like!

  (sent from home...)