[SWLUG] New protest and petition against BBC's Windows-only iPlayer

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Aug 3 13:15:55 UTC 2007

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Julian Hall wrote:

> Having said that, even Bill Gates has gone on record saying DRM is not
> up to the job.  That being the case, why on earth are we still stuck
> with it?

I suspect because the people in charge are so scared that
something is better than nothing, even if that something is largely
ineffective.  It also seems that they ignore how many customers the are
alienating in the process.

It would be nice to see an independent cost analysis of money lost due to
copyright infringement of un-DRM'd content (taking into account that some
of the infringers wouldn't have bought the content anyway if they had to
pay for it) verses money lost due to the cost of the DRM system, lost
customers, people who are still infringing since the DRM system is pretty
useless and people who are having to infringe *because* of the DRM on the
legit content.

> A thought that just occurred.  British Law guarantees assumption of
> innocence *until proven otherwise*.  Is there then not an argument to
> say that implementation of DRM which assumes guilt, is illegal in concept?

I'm not a lawyer, but I would assume the presumption of innocence only
applies to legal proceedings.  For example, if I own a pub and a fight
starts, I can make the assumption that all parties involved are guilty and
kick them all out - no presumption of innocence would be necessary since
I'm not starting legal proceedings.  And if I were to start legal
proceedings it could be said that I am assuming guilt - it's the people
involved with the legal system who must assume innocence.

--

  - Steve