[SWLUG] New protest and petition against BBC's Windows-only iPlayer

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Aug 3 15:57:28 UTC 2007

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Vladimir Zlatanov wrote:

> BSkyB is just one of the DVB-S providers who happen to own a satellite(s)
> broadcasting to UK.

BSkyB own no satellites.  They lease some transponders from SES Astra and
Eutel on a number of satellites, just as all the other channels do.

_However_ BSkyB run the only DVB-S _platform_ (i.e. the EPG, etc) for the
UK at the moment and everything about that platform is tied to the Sky
hardware.  For example, the EPG is encrypted and in a propriatory format,
all the interactive stuff is run on the propriatory OpenTV platform (as
opposed to the DVB-T interactive content which is the open MHEG-5
standard and uses the standard EIT to distribute the EPG data in an
unencrypted format).

Yes, other operators could start their own DVB-S platform (and indeed,
FreeSat is due to be launched next year on the Astra 28.2E / Eurobird
28.5E cluster (i.e. the same satellite cluster that Sky Digital uses for
it's channels and all the other operators use for channels that appear on
the Sky EPG), which is a collaberation of the BBC and ITV), but the point
is that at the moment Sky have a monopoly on this and have designed it in
such a way that they therefore also have a monopoly on the receiving
equipment which people can use.

> There are non-SKY owned satellites broadcasting DVB-S. The pain in the back
> is that you need to switch
> satellites. Which for various reasons doesn't make business sense, hence Sky
> has effectively a monopoly over
> UK DVB-S transmissions. The other satellites simply don't target UK.

Shall we turn this around: Microsoft are just one of the CODEC providers
who just happen to own the DRM system the content publisher (BBC) is
using.  There are non-Microsoft owned CODECs available and used by other
content publishers, the pain in the back is that you need to switch
content publishers.  Hence Microsoft has effectively a monopoly over BBC
content.

Same is true in both cases - the BBC are using a propriatory system which
forces you to use their choice of receiver (iPlayer, Windows XP, x86
hardware).  Sky are using a propriatory system which forces you to use
their choice of receiver/PVR (e.g. Sky Plus).

Either way, having the publisher dictate what device you must use to
receive content is bad news for the consumer.  If the BBC used an open
format there would be a wide selection of players to choose from.  If Sky
used open standards there would be a wide selection of receivers and PVRs
to choose from.

--

  - Steve