[SWLUG] advice requested re: video capture

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Sun Dec 9 16:18:19 UTC 2007

James Edgeworth wrote:
> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-009-CP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=169
> - this looks pretty good, but Ive had no experience with it - I remember
> someone saying that to capture from a camcorder, it just needs the
> Composite or S-Video, but I cant back him up on that. It also doesnt
> seem to do AVI files (saying that ive not actually personally seen one
> which does do AVI).
Sorry forgot to mention.  This card does slightly *under* DVD quality at
720 * 480 rather than 720 * 576.

Also AVI or MPEG capture is down to the software as much as the
hardware.  The Pinnacle will do full AVI with zero dropped frames (on a
suitably specced machine of course).  MPEG capture needs higher spec as
it compresses on the fly.

Kind regards,

Julian